One of the major purposes of a residential or commercial metal garage is storage. Perfectly organized and planned mounting or shelving will increase the functionality of your metal sheds, a great way to organize all the items in such a way that would otherwise clutter up your garage or basement’s floor space.
Also, the inappropriate drilling may leave space for rust, corrosion, dust, and other hazardous effects on metal.
We assist our customers with proper shelving or mounting to a metal building. Why? Because it doesn’t matter where you’re working, but what’s more important is to have adequate storage or shelving that not only prevents clutter at the random corners of your room but also keeps items in a logical order. They can easily hang shelves and other storage systems in steel frame buildings, with professionals to guide them about the best use of free space.
Table of Contents
The Efficiency of Accurate Storage Plans is Incredible!
Many metals shed owners do not have a proper idea of how to build shelves in a metal building or how much space brace shelves take up when installed and usually end up dissatisfied with the open space left after hanging things or adding shelving for metal buildings. Therefore, drawing plans with accurate measurements on design software will help with efficient space planning and assembling, great for saving on weight, space, and extra costs with marked spots. Also, before mounting or shelving, choosing the best storage idea to meet your needs is important.
Benefits Of Shelves For Metal Buildings
- One of the best advantages of metal building shelving ideas is that it saves a lot of space.
- Shelving not only allows you to systematize your things suitably but also provides your items with their perfect spot, whether industrial products or vases.
- A well-organized metal building shelving idea is like a nautical compass in your company that helps your employees find things quickly and efficiently.
- Shelves keep your items safe, whether it’s commercial.
- When shelves are appropriately labeled & organized, and things are in their right spot, it becomes easier to tab regarding how much we have and whether items are being used correctly.
Organization and Shelving Ideas for Metal Structures
1. Tool Hanging
Metal tool hangings have a unique spot to hang baskets and tool hooks at their appropriate height for quick tool scanning and efficient storage that can save up a lot of shelving space for hanging items. These racks are the most opted metal building storage ideas as they are easy to install. It is similar to pegboard walls but more resistant to humidity
2. Wall-Mounted vs. Freestanding Shelving:
Metal structures provide easy options for wall-mounted shelving frames and units. But due to thin walls, these shelves may possess some weight constraints and tend to bend over time. Free-standing shelves attached to the ground will help cover maximum weight support without affecting the structure’s strength and reduce the strain from walls, fulfilling the needs for heavy-duty hold shelving.
3. Wood vs. Metal Shelves
The wooden Shelf is designed from plywood and tends to include metal supports for a composite design. But it offers lower maximum weight limits than its metal counterparts and needs more care than metal shelves.
4. Cabinets or Counters
For small and lightweight tools, cabinets will help you with the best space-solving techniques. These are endlessly customizable with adjustable basket systems and shelves, allowing the user to hook them at the desired height.
5. Wire Shelving
Wire shelving is a type of storage system known for its one feature: breathability.
The amount of space which is given by this shelve makes them ideal for wet storage activities. Moreover, wire shelving is well-suited for accommodating giant-size objects.
6. Pallet Racking
Pallet racking is a storage system that is used for storing articles on pallets. It stores items in horizontal rows on multiple levels. Pallet racking maximizes the storage density by taking the benefits of vertical space.
7. Stalls For Small And Large Equipment
If you’re using your metal building as a garage or carport to accommodate your precious valuables like RVs, store vehicles, or front-end rollers, introduce your interior space with barn style-pony walls.
These stalls are perfect for systematizing lawn pieces of equipment.
8. Ceiling-Mounted Shelves
This heavy-duty shelving for metal buildings is fixed into ceilings with the aid of long metal brackets.
Ceiling-mounted shelves are ideal for storing the equipment that must be kept away from your vehicles or automobiles.
Cost of Installing Shelves In A Metal Building
The cost of installing metal building shelves relies on many factors, for instance:
- The size of the structure.
- What type of shelves is used?
- Is there any need for additional customization?
But if we talk about the estimates, a professional installation usually runs around $200-$480 (per 25 linear feet), including (both) labor and materials.
List of Hand Tools to Add Shelves in your Metal Shed
You may require a list of basic hand tools to install or hang shelves in the metal walls and building. These include:
- Claw Hammer- This allows to drive and remove nails.
- Adjustable Wrench- Useful to loosen and tight the nuts and bolts.
- Multi-Bit Screwdriver- Helps tighten the fixture.
- Pliers- Useful for bending, gripping, or cutting shorted or hard-to-reach noses.
- Tape Measure
- Tape measure
- Silicone caulk
- Saw (optional)
Factors to Consider when Choosing Shelves for Metal Buildings
Here is the list of factors that you need to consider before picking shelves for metal building:
- The first factor you need to view is the load-bearing capacity of the shelve. Make sure the shelve you opt for can handle the intended weight, whether it’s for industrial, commercial, or household purposes, without getting sagged or collapsed.
- Next comes the materials, which is worth pondering before choosing metal building shelves ideas. Why? Because when it comes to materials, you want something that is rust and corrosion-resistant as well as solid and durable so that whatever mother nature throws, they can endure it.
- After materials, it’s essential to consider your budget. Compare different shelf options based on their quality, durability, and functionality.
- Moreover, it’s also significant to consider flexible options when choosing your shelves.
- Lastly, while setting up your shelves in a metal building, it’s crucial to take a moment to ponder what are the installation requirements. Because certain shelves mandate drilling on the wall; in contrast, others are stackable.
How to hang things in a metal building?
1. Attaching Shelves directly to the Frame:
Adding shelves directly to the frame with toggle bolts, winglike attachment, and bolt flanges can handle a good weight and are a better storage option to eliminate the need for drilling holes into the metal wall. Though it forms a much more secure bond but is a more labor-intensive installation.
2. Fastening Wooden Beams in the Walls of the Shed
An easy DIY To hang shelves from fastening wooden beams, you first need to drill a hole in the outer wall through the beam to the other side of the wall.
The next step would be to fasten the wooden boards to the wall inside using washers, screws, and tape.
Seal the screwed drill holes with silicone caulk to prevent water corrosion or leakage. Lastly, add shelving brackets to the attached board through shorter wood screws for storage solutions. Make sure to check on wear and tear signs around the shelving holes
3. Freestanding or floating Shelving Units
If you have a larger metal structure or work shed, free-standing or floating, storage options will help store much weight without putting any stress on the walls. It does not require any drilling and allows an adjustable storage system in your space. An ideal moveable storage option to store heavy-weight tools and metal building accessories. It can be expensive for small storage.
Common Mistakes To Avoid When Installing Shelves In Metal Buildings
Experts at Steel And Stud have jotted down some mistakes that should be avoided when installing shelves for metal buildings:
- Never install shelves for metal buildings without considering their intended function.
- Avoid using the wrong tools if you want your home improvement project to be successful.
- Not taking precise measurements.
- Never neglect your wall’s foundation before installing metal building shelves.
- Not paying homage to the shelves’ weight capacity.
From storing your floor-space covering tools to small accessories and other items, metal and wooden shelving storage options from Steel and Stud can make your life easier and also provides an answer related to how to build shelves in a metal shed. Contact us today at Steel and Stud USA, or follow us on Facebook and Google+ to learn more about hanging cabinets on corrugated metals or wood framing inside a metal shed.
Frequently Asked Questions
- According to Occupational Safety and Health Administration, shelves must be placed between shoulder height and waist to avoid employee falls.
- And there must be a gap of one inch between the wall and the edge of the shelf when installing.
- Light-duty shelves can hold weights up to 175 kilos.
- Medium-duty shelves used explicitly for garages and warehouses can hold up to 340 kilos.
- Heavy-duty shelves can bear up to 300-350 kilos.
Due to their versatility, Steel And Stud’s shelves can be customised according to your metal building dimensions.
The lifespan of metal building shelves is between 40-100 years.
- If your metal building shelving is plagued with rust, all you have to do is take sandpaper to remove the remnants of rust.
- After this, spread a handful of coarse salt grains and a mixture of lemon and white vinegar on the sprinkled part.
- Leave it for 5-7 minutes and wipe it out with a dry cloth.
Bolted shelving is constructed through angle uprights which can carry up to 100 kg per shelf.
In contrast, boltless shelves for metal buildings are configured without nuts and bolts, making them very easy to assemble.